Photo ID you need at Elections

New laws mean you now have to show photo ID to vote at polling stations in General Elections in the UK. This was already the law in Northern Ireland.

The photo ID needs to be the original version and not a photocopy. Accepted forms of ID include: Passport, Drivers licence, blue badge, PASS card, Voter Authority Certificate and more. PASS cards are not accepted in Northern Ireland - find a list of accepted ID in Northern Ireland here.

NUS have teamed up with CitizenCard to offer students a free voter ID with the code NUS

You can get a voter ID from CitizenCard (usually £15) for free using the code NUS or by clicking this link.

You can use the card to prove your age and identity - enter pubs, clubs, take domestic flights, use as Voter ID and buy age-restricted goods in shops. Please note this cannot be used as voter ID in Northern Ireland.

TOTUM + Age ID card

As well as reaping the benefits of the UK's #1 Student Discount Card, you can now also verify your name and age in UK elections with the TOTUM+ Age ID Card.

TOTUM is now available with the added goodness of coming with PASS accredited legal age ID when you buy a TOTUM card for £14.99. Please note this cannot be used as voter ID in Northern Ireland.


Voter Authority Certificate

You can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate, if: 

  • you don't have an accepted form of photo ID 
  • you're not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you 
  • you're worried about using an existing form of ID for any other reason, such as the use of a gender marker 

You need to register to votebefore applying for a Voter Authority Certificate. 

Out of date photo ID 

You can still use your photo ID if it's out of date, as long as it looks like you. 

The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.


Our Partners