How you can be part of NUS

Your students’ union decides whether to affiliate to NUS based on the views of its students.

Only UK based students' unions whose institutions provide education and training to learners aged 16 and over are able to affiliate.

This institution could be a private training provider, a charity, a further education college (as defined by schedule 3 of the Instruments & Articles of further education colleges), school sixth form, college of higher education or university.

Don't have a students' union?

Find out how to set one up.

Sixth forms within schools

Sixth form unions within schools are able to affiliate to NUS and can also apply for a TOTUM account without being affiliated. Contact TOTUM for more details.

How do we apply?

To apply for affiliation you need to submit:

  • a completed application form;

  • a copy of your constitution (if you have one);

  • a copy of the financial statement of the union; (if you have one)

  • a copy of the institution's prospectus