We are passionate about the power of students to drive change. Here at NUS we work to support students’ unions, associations and guilds to be the best they can be.
We represent the realities of students’ lives by using research to run national campaigns and we champion students on a daily basis to ensure their voice is heard.
This helps to shape the future of education, creating a a fairer and more prosperous society.
It may feel a little bit removed from your experience as a student or an interested member of the public, but what we do at a national level has a huge impact on how decisions are made at a local level.
This subsequently affects the life of every single current student or person looking to enter further or higher education.
We also assist with many students’ union elections – continuing to make sure that they are fair and democratic proceedings that give you exactly what, and who, you want.
Recent NUS wins
- 2016: Court finds 48,000 international students were wrongly deported by the Home Office using a flawed English language test, based on expert legal opinion NUS provided.
- 2016: NUS campaigned with FOSIS, Al-Qalam and 1st Ethical for government to introduce a Sharia-compliant loan system, and they have now announced progress on its introduction.
- 2016: We organised between SUs, universities and the higher education sector to highlight the importance and current excellence of students' unions, leading to initial plans to overhaul students' unions being rolled back.
- 2015: Universities UK established a Lad Culture/harassment taskforce at request of government, following NUS campaign work.
- 2015: NUS got the taught postgraduate loan cap removed with the #capsoff campaign, so those aged over 30 can now access postgraduate loans.
- 2015: Competitions and Markets Authority published guidance on students and consumer law following NUS pressure.
- 2014: Following an NUS complaint, the Office for Fair Trading rules that universities cannot use academic sanctions to recover non-academic debt.
- 2014: Taught postgraduate loans introduced for people aged 30 and under thanks to NUS work with a coalition of partners.
- 2013: NUS secured £5m from HEFCE for sustainability projects across England.
- 2013: NUS turned government cuts to National Scholarship Programme into over £50m more into students' pockets, supporting students' unions to take advantage of a little known rule change to turn pointless fee waivers into cash bursaries.
Historic wins that still have an impact
- 2007: Tenancy Deposit Schemes established, protecting student deposits in the private rented sector.
- 1992: NUS secures exemption from Council Tax for all full-time students.
- 1974: Negotiated with British Rail to create the Student Railcard (now Young Persons Railcard) which has led to discounted travel for millions of students.
- 1965: NUS founded Endsleigh Insurance, because existing insurance companies did not provide products to students.
Browse through our many successes in the following areas of work: