Back to press releases
NUS’ demands for student renters – open letters to providers of student rented accommodation
NUS has published four open letters to the providers of student rented accommodation across the UK.
Speaking directly to the authorities who can make immediate changes locally for students, NUS has asked for all these providers of rented accommodation to students, to implement our 5 demands to protect students in these difficult times:
- Ensure all tenants and landlords have access to, and implement, clear and holistic public health advice
- Every landlord must offer students a no-penalty early release from tenancy contracts for the current and next academic year
- End all evictions, for all renters, for the duration of the crisis
- All renters who are financially impacted by the coronavirus must have their rents subsidised, significantly reduced or waived entirely for 6 months
- Suspend all rent increases for the next 12 months.
You can read the four letters using the links below:
Universities UK (UUK)
British Property Federation (BDF), aimed at Non-University Purpose-Built Student Accommodation (PBSA) Providers
The National Landlords Association (NLA) and Residential Landlords Association (RLA)
National Housing Federation
We’ll keep you up-to-date on progress as we pursue discussions with these bodies so do keep checking NUS.org.uk for more details.
NUS Reply to 1st NRLA Response
Response from UUK