Back to press releases

NUS comments on fire at student accommodation in Bolton

Saturday 16 November 2019

A fire broke out at The Cube, a student accommodation block in Bolton last night

Eva Crossan Jory, NUS Vice President (Welfare) said;

“It’s devastating that students have had to experience this shocking situation, we commend the fire brigade on bringing the fire under control so swiftly and other emergency services treating those injured. NUS has been calling for a number of improvements in fire-safety measures in student accommodation, and while this building doesn't appear to have used the same cladding as Grenfell, we also don't know what role it might have played in this fire. It shouldn't take another fire to put the issue of building safety back on the agenda. Student safety must always be the first priority for accommodation providers and the government.”