WISE (Wales Initiative on Student Engagement) is an NUS Wales project funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW). The project aims to help students and students’ unions get involved with shaping the learning going on at their own university.
The project outputs are:
- Host four associate trainer training courses per year for course rep coordinators and course reps champions from at least eight HE students’ unions.
- Host an annual course rep day event for up to five course reps from every Welsh HEI (approximately 50 people)
- Regular evaluation of course rep training through collection of quantitative and qualitative measures
- Host an online discussion forum to promote communication and good practice sharing between course reps. Look to increase current membership capacity through additional awareness raising activities.
- Create a course rep guide with online distribution. The guide will contain advice on issues of concern and examples of good practice. Each year will see creation of two subject chapters.
- Support and advice to students’ unions for completing of their annual statement. This will include the creation of a short guide to issues students’ unions may wish to consider when completing their statement.
- Continued promotion of “have your say” materials already created. Further need to order new materials in the New Year may need to be discussed.
- An annual report outlining success against outputs submitted prior to annual steering group meeting.
- An annual steering group meeting including representatives from HEFCW and NUS Wales.
The project gives students’ unions support and advice on how to develop student class representative structures. As part of this project we are running a series of events across Wales for student officers and class representatives. For more information about these events email Rhys Dart, Development and Training Officer
We are also developing a new toolkit for student officers and hope to be able to publish this shortly. Watch this space for more information.