Back to lifestyle

Having problems with your course?

Thursday 20 September 2012 Trends

It’s inevitable that a number of students each year will experience problems with their degree course, whether it’s dissatisfaction with the quality of teaching, classes being too easy or too hard, unsatisfactory feedback on assessments, or perceived unfairness in the marking process.

Each university deals with difficulties in their own way

Unfortunately, because each university or college has its own unique procedures for dealing with internal complaints, it’s difficult for NUS to advise individual students on what they should do if they experience such difficulties.

Use your course rep if you encounter trouble

Most establishments have a system of course reps – students who are elected to represent the views of others on their course. Your course rep may be a useful first port of call when it comes to raising issues, and many of these problems can be resolved informally through discussion.

For more serious problems contact your students' union

If the problem is more serious, for example if you’ve been accused of plagiarism, we recommend that you contact your students’ union.

They should be familiar with the systems in place in your university and will be able to guide and support you through the appeal process.

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator

If the problem is not resolved to your satisfaction using internal procedures, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA).

The OIA is an independent student complaints scheme and is free to students.