Back to advice


Monday 21 November 2016 Your Stuff

It doesn’t matter how security conscious you are – it's really important to protect your stuff, just in case you do become the victim of robbery. NUS recommend Endsleigh Insurance, check out their website here.

Attractive to thieves

Students tend to own plenty of items that are attractive to thieves – just take a look around your student room. In a flash, a thief could have picked up your laptop and your mobile phone, that’s £1,000+

Contents insurance policies provide the cover you need. They take into account your lifestyle and the fact that your house is empty in the holidays, and will quickly replace anything stolen.

Many colleges and universities provide free contents insurance as part of their
service – just make sure that you get top-up cover for especially valuable items such as laptops.

5 Tips on insuring your property

  • Get insurance sorted before you arrive at uni or college if you can – many thefts take place within a few weeks of a new term.
  • Ask parents if their contents insurance covers your property – sometimes it’s cheaper to add it on to their policy, but always check!
  • Endsleigh is a student focused insurance provider, so it’s a good idea to check them first. 
  • Try to take most of your valuables home during the breaks.
  • Keep lists of the make, model and serial numbers of your electronic items to help Police track them if they’re stolen