Back to advice

I’m a student with children or other dependants – what extra higher education funding can I get?

By David Malcolm

Friday 15 March 2013 Higher education

If you’re a student in higher education in the UK, and you have children and/or you support a dependent adult, you may be entitled to extra higher education funding from the government. Here’s an overview of what’s available, with links to more information.

It’s really important to find out about what you’re entitled to as a student with children or other dependants. If you’re finding it difficult to get to grips with all the funding that’s available, contact your students’ union advice centre or student services for help.

Find the information that’s relevant to you:

What other funding is available for student parents?

As a student parent you may be entitled to get benefits and tax credits. For more information, see Alternative sources of student funding overview.

Also, your university or college may offer support. These funds often prioritise students with children, and can be a real lifeline when things get tough. See Can I get higher education funding from my university or college?

For more help, Student Parents has information on funding, including a funding calculator and other tips.

This information was updated in March 2013. NUS provides this information in good faith and has taken care to make sure it’s accurate. However, student finance issues can be complicated, and rules change frequently. You should contact the advice centre in your students' union, college or university for support if you’re uncertain or need more help.