Advice and resources from the Gas Safe Register about how to keep your home safe from gas risks.
Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire. Gas Safe Register has launched an interactive gas map, which identifies the most dangerous postcodes in the country. The map, www.staygassafe.co.uk, reveals how many unsafe gas appliances have been found lurking in an area and is the first time that gas data has been compared across postcodes.
The data, compiled by Gas Safe Register, which has inspected just under 100,000 homes in Great Britain in the last three years, found that one in six homes - the equivalent of 4.28 million households - had an unsafe gas appliance.
Since gas safety can be a matter of life and death, Gas Safe Register advises the following:
- Visit www.staygassafe.co.uk to find out about the gas dangers and risks in your area.
- Get all of the gas appliances in your home safety checked and maintained annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer – this will ensure that your appliances continue to work safely.
- Sign up to a gas safety check reminder at www.staygassafe.co.uk so that you never forget to do this vital and life saving check.
- Don’t fall victim to illegal gas work - only use a Gas Safe registered engineer and ask to see their Gas Safe ID card.
- Watch the film Gas Safe Register's short film about gas safety here and download a gas safety leaflet here and poster here.
More information on the Gas Safe Register is available here.