Back to advice

I’m a disabled student – what extra further education funding can I get?

By David Malcolm

Friday 12 April 2013 Further education

If you’re a student in further education in the UK and you’re physically disabled, have a long-term health condition or mental health condition, you may be entitled to extra funding from your learning provider. Here’s an overview.

Whatever your age, if you’re taking a course of further education and you have additional needs or costs related to your disability, your learning provider (eg your school, college, sixth-form college or further education college) will be able to help you. Speak to your disability support officer. Any extra funding you get doesn’t depend on your income.

As well as this, make sure you claim any government benefits you’re entitled to. As a disabled student you may be entitled to get benefits such as Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment. For more information, see Can I claim government benefits as a student?

Related topics

If you’re disabled and you’re taking a course of higher education (eg a degree) see I’m a disabled student – what extra higher education funding can I get?

This information was updated in March 2013. NUS provides this information in good faith and has taken care to make sure it’s accurate. However, student finance issues can be complicated, and rules change frequently. You should contact the advice centre in your students' union, college or university for support if you’re uncertain or need more help.