The NUS Awards, held in partnership with Endsleigh Insurance, recognise the inspirational work carried out by individual students, student media and students’ unions across the UK.
The 350 nominations received this year is a record high for the Awards, now in their third year. The categories include Endsleigh Student of the Year, Student Unionist of the Year and the coveted Union of the Year awards.
The winners will be announced at a ceremony to be held at Warwick Students’ Union on July 1.
The judging panel included Times Higher Education Editor Anne Mroz, Director of the Helena Kennedy Foundation Ellen Dawson and Managing Director of Endsleigh Ian Passmore.
This year will also see a Lifetime Contribution Award given which will recognise the long-term contribution of one individual to NUS and the student movement. The recipient of this Award will be announced at the ceremony on July 1.
Endsleigh Student of the Year finalist Fiona Bruce said:
"I had no idea I’d even been nominated, until I saw that I’d been shortlisted. I volunteer to have a positive impact on my University, its students and sport as a whole, but didn’t expect to receive this kind of recognition for it.
"I’m really happy and very proud to be nominated. Regardless of the outcome I would like to thank those who nominated and supported me."
NUS President-elect Aaron Porter said:
“The NUS Awards are a unique opportunity to demonstrate the hard work of students and their unions and the valuable contribution they make on campus and in the wider community.
“We’ve really enjoyed the process of judging this year and the quality has been so high that some exceptional candidates unfortunately missed the shortlist. This year’s finalists have provided outstanding examples of passion and ability across a wide range of campaigns and skills.
“I’m incredibly proud of the work that students do outside of the classroom and always welcome any chance to display it to a wider audience.”
NUS Awards 2010 Shortlist (in no particular order)
The Endsleigh Student of the Year
- Joseph Akinnagbe, University of Manchester SU
- Samuel Kasumu, Birkbeck College
- Vincent Murray, Queens University Belfast SU
- Fiona Bruce, University of Bath SU
Course Representative of the Year
- Alex Pool, University of Bath SU
- Grace Cooper, Newcastle University Union Society
- Ashleigh Blackwood, Northumbria SU
Student Unionist of the Year
- Sarah Gibbons, Glasgow Metropolitan College SA
- Rachel Colley, University of Sheffield Union of Students
- Andrew Wright, London School of Economics And Political Science SU
Student Journalist of the Year
- Adam Walmesley, University of Exeter Students Guild
- Rosie Taylor, University of Sheffield Union of Students
- Josh Carroll, The University of Manchester SU
Campaign of the Year
- Union of UEA Students- To make HE funding a key General Election issue across Norfolk and to increase UEA student turnout
- Brooklands College SU, “SAFE” – Save Ashford Further Education
- Castle College Nottingham SU- Make IT Change campaign
Community Relations Award
- Northumbria SU
- Queen s University Belfast SU
- University of Bath SU
Further Education Students’ Union of the Year
- Canterbury College
- Cornwall College
- City College Norwich
Higher Education Students’ Union of the Year
- Northumbria SU
- Anglia Ruskin SU
- University of Exeter Students Guild
Equality and Diversity Award
- Leeds Metropolitan University SU
- South Eastern Regional College SU
- SU University of the Arts London
Students’ Union Club or Society of the Year
- University of Sussex SU – SIFE
- Loughborough SU- FLIX student cinema
- University of Nottingham SU- Nottingham University Dance Society
Best Student Media
- University of York SU - The Lemon Press
- University of York SU - Nouse
- Cambridge University SU- Varsity