Back to advice

Further Support

Friday 8 June 2012Alcohol

If you're worried about your own or somebody who you know's drinking habits, you can get support from the following services.

If you think you have a drinking problem, speak to your GP in the first instance. Your GP will be able to help you understand better what is likely to happen to you as a result of your drinking, and can refer you as appropriate to alcohol treatment programmes and support groups that can help you cut down your drinking or stop it all together.                 

Evidence suggests that attempts to cut down on alcohol or stopping altogether are more successful if they are supported in some way, such as by family and friends, or through counselling or a support group.

Heavy drinking can also mask a range of health problems, such as anxiety, depression and other mental health issues. Your GP will be able to help you with these problems either through medication or referring you to counselling services.

You can also call the national drink helpline – Drinkline on 0800 917 8282. They offer the following services:

-         Information and self-help materials

-         Help to callers worried about their own drinking

-         Support to the family and friends of people who are drinking

-         Advice to callers on where to go for help

Alcoholics Anonymous offer a network of self-help groups with over 3,000 local groups in the UK. You can find further information and your local group by calling 0845 769 7555 or visiting Alcoholics Anonymous.